At Sun50, we pride ourselves on transparency. The integrity behind our Sun50 brand starts with our core team of professionals and dictates our eco-friendly sourcing, speaks to the quality behind our clothing and defines the way we treat our environment and everyone around us. We design and manufacture our sun protection apparel in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and we visit our production team weekly, we consider them family.
Why Does Sun50 Manufacture in the USA?
Domestic apparel production elevates our garment quality, reduces waste, and reduces our carbon footprint. More importantly, manufacturing very close to our Minnesota world headquarters, ensures the people who make our clothing work in a safe, healthy, and ethical environment. We know exactly where the Sun50 clothing you wear comes from.
Ethical & Fair Labor Practices for the people making our apparel:
- Domestic production creates jobs, provides fair labor practices and higher wages to employees who make or clothing. Our manufacturing facilities provide fair wages and a safe, clean work environment thanks to federal laws.
- Small Batch Production: By manufacturing with our USA vendors Sun50 is able to produce garments in small batches. Lower quantities of garments are produced at one time, which reduces excess production and waste.
- California Made Fabric: Approximately 50% of our apparel collections source California made fabrics. Using organic cotton & biodegradable Tencel which is produced under a “closed loop method,” these fabrics provide superior chemical-free sun protection UPF 50+.
- Earth Friendly Fabrics: Sun50 sources the highest quality imported fabrics with the most superior UPF 50+ sun protection, which is achieved naturally, not with chemical treatments. Like our domestically made fabrics, our imported fabrics must be produced with stringent ethical and environmental regulations. Learn more about our fabric certifications.
- Chemical-Free UV Protection: Sun50’s fabrics have earned the prestigious Seal of Recommendation by The Skin Cancer Foundation. This trusted seal ensures that what you are buying is safe and effective at preventing skin damage that can lead to skin cancer. Sun50 fabrics offer chemical-free sun protection (of both UVA and UVB rays) and are gentle enough for the most sensitive skin. Better for you, better for our oceans, better for our environment.
Reduced Carbon Footprint:
The fashion industry is currently responsible for more annual carbon emissions than all international flights and maritime shipping combined. We are committed to doing everything we can to reduce our carbon footprint. Starting with:
- International Shipping: Our Apparel is USA Made, Not Imported
- Environmental Protection Laws: Our Minnesota production house and California fabric mill adhere to the most environmentally friendly manufacturing laws. In fact, California has the most stringent environmental protection rules imposed on the industry for dyeing materials and air quality. All Sun50 fabrics, both domestic and imported, are sourced for their eco-friendly, made-to-last quality, and superior sun protection.
- Quality Materials & Construction: Made in USA is a mark of quality. Durable, dependable, fashionable, trustworthy and made to last. Investing in domestic production allows us to closely monitor the manufacturing process from the very beginning, until the final garment is shipped out to you. We have the finest sun protection fabrics in styles made for more than just one season.
Why buying sustainable and ethical clothing is important?
When you invest in ethical and sustainable clothing brands, you are purchasing a made-to-last, high-quality garment, which has been produced in an ethical factory where human beings are not exploited. In addition, your buying power is directly reducing your carbon footprint (buying fewer pieces when you buy quality) and supporting a slow fashion, global initiative.
As we strive to provide 100% transparency with our customers, we welcome your inquires and we thank you for supporting our homegrown brand.